Daniel Taber, PhD, MPH
Former Visiting Scholar, Education and Training Program
Assistant Professor, Department of Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences
University of Texas School of Public Health
Dr. Taber is an expert in childhood obesity policy research at the University of Texas School of Public Health. He has led several evaluations of state laws governing school nutrition standards and physical education requirements, including one of the first longitudinal studies that found competitive food laws were associated with lower student weight gain. He often speaks to national and international leaders about the role of public policy in reducing obesity.
In 2012, he obtained a K99/R00 grant to apply system dynamics to his policy research. He is studying how economic and neighborhood factors (e.g., beverage taxes, zoning codes) modify school policy effects, and whether these factors contribute to racial/ethnic disparities in obesity. His is also interested in applying systems science to other sectors related to obesity (e.g., public transportation systems.)
- Taber DR, Chriqui JF, Vuillaume R, Kelder SH, Chaloupka FJ. The association between state bans on soda only and adolescent substitution with other sugar-sweetened beverages: a cross-sectional study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (in press).
- Taber DR, Chriqui JF, Vuillaume R, Chaloupka FJ. How state taxes and policies targeting soda consumption modify the association between school vending machines and student dietary behaviors: a cross-sectional analysis. PLOS ONE. 2014; 9:e98249.
- Taber DR, Chriqui JF, Perna FM, Powell LM, Slater SJ, Chaloupka FJ. Association between state physical education (PE) requirements and PE attendance, physical activity, and body mass index change. Preventive Medicine. 2013; 57:629-33.
- Taber DR, Chriqui JF, Powell LM, Chaloupka FJ. Association between state laws governing school meal nutrition content and student weight status. JAMA Pediatrics. 2013; 167:513-19.
- Taber DR, Chriqui JF, Perna FM, Powell LM, Chaloupka FJ. Weight status among adolescents in states that govern competitive food nutrition content. Pediatrics. 2012; 130:437-44.