Please find a list of sample publications below that are written by or in direct consultation with the Global Obesity Prevention Center's (GOPC) faculty and staff. Each category signifies the key contributing factors associated with obesity.
- Wong MS, Nau C, Kharmats AY, et al. Using a computational model to quantify the potential impact of changing the placement of healthy beverages in stores as an intervention to "Nudge" adolescent behavior choice. BMC Public Health. 2015;15:1284-015-2626-0. PMID: 26700158 [PubMed - in process] PMCID: PMC4690297.
- Han E, Jones-Smith J, Surkan PJ, Kharmats AY, Vedovato GM, Trude ACB, Anderson Steeves E, Gittelsohn J. Low Income African American Adults share weight status, food-related psychosocial factors, and behaviours with their children. Obesity, Science and Practice. 2015; 1 (2):78-87.
- Carnell S, Benson L, Gibson EL, Mais LA & Warkentin (2017) Caloric compensation in preschoolers: relationships with weight and food category. Appetite, 116, 82-89. PMID: 28432007.
- Gu C, Warkentin S, Mais LA & Carnell S (2017) Ethnic differences in parental feeding behaviors in UK pre-schoolers. Appetite, 113, 398-404. PMID: 28274650.
- Carnell S, Pryor K, Mais LA, Warkentin S, Benson L & Cheng R (2016) Lunch-time food choices in pre-schoolers: relationships between absolute and relative intake of different food categories, and appetitive characteristics and weight. Physiology & Behavior, 162:151-160. Epub ahead of print Mar 31. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2016.03.028. PMID: 27039281, PMCID: PMC4899113
- Cheskin, L (In press.) Tailored, interactive text messaging for enhancing weight loss among african- american adults. The Green Journal: The American Journal of Medicine 2015.
- Warkentin S, Mais LA, Latorre MRDO, Carnell S & Taddei JAAC (2016) Validation of the Comprehensive Feeding Practices Questionnaire in parents of preschool children enrolled in Brazilian private schools. BMC Public Health, 16:603. PMID: 27435192, PMCID: PMC4952239.
- Schwartz, B.S., Bailey-Davis, L., Bandeen-Roche, K., Pollak, J., Hirsch, A.G., Nau, C., et al. (2014). Attention deficit disorder, stimulant use, and childhood body mass index trajectory. Pediatrics, 133:668-76. PMID 24639278 PMCID PMC4268044.
- Sato PM, Steeves EA, Carnell S, Cheskin LJ, Trude AC, Shipley C, Mejia Ruiz MJ & Gittelsohn J (2016) A youth mentor-led nutritional intervention in urban recreation centers: A promising strategy for childhood obesity prevention in low income neighborhoods. Health Education Research, doi: 10.1093/her/cyw011. PMID: 26936480, PMCID: PMC5007578.
- Mais LA, Warkentin S, Latorre MRDO, Carnell S & Taddei JAAC (2015) Validation of the Comprehensive Feeding Practices Questionnaire among middle- and high-income Brazilian families of school-aged children. Frontiers in Nutrition, Epub Nov 3, 2(35). PMID: 26579525, PMCID: PMC4630658.
- Bobb JF, Schwartz BS, Davatzikos C, Caffo B. Cross-sectional and longitudinal association of body mass index and brain volume. Human Brain Mapping 2014; 35: 75-88.
- Cheskin, L. Prospective association of a genetic risk score and lifestyle intervention with cardiovascular morbidity and mortality among individuals with type 2 diabetes: the look ahead randomised controlled trial.Diabetologia. 2015 May 14. DOI 10.1007/s00125-015-3610-z.
- Gordon-Larsen P & Jones-Smith J. Challenges in ameliorating hunger without increasing obesity. The Lancet. 2012; 380(9844): 787-789.
- Chen, H. J., Wang, Y., & Cheskin, L. J. (2016). Relationship between frequency of eating and cardiovascular disease mortality in U.S. adults: The NHANES III follow-up study. Annals of Epidemiology. DOI: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2016.06.006.
- Jones-Smith JC, Neufeld LM, Laraia B, Ramakrishnan U, Garcia-Guerra A, Fernald LCH. Early life growth trajectories and later childhood obesity. Nutrition & Diabetes. 2013;3: e60.
- Neufeld LM, Jones-Smith JC, Garcia R, Fernald LCH. Anthropometric predictors for the risk of chronic disease in non-diabetic, non-hypertensive young Mexican women. Public Health Nutrition. 2007; 2:1-9.
- Schwartz BS, Bailey-Davis L, Bandeen-Roche K, Pollak J, Hirsch AG, Nau C, Liu AY, Glass TA. Attention deficit disorder, stimulant use, and childhood body mass index trajectory. Pediatrics 2014; 133: 668-676.
- Schwartz BS, Pollak J, Bailey-Davis L, Hirsch AG, Cosgrove SE, Nau C, Kress A, Glass TA, Bandeen-Roche K. Antibiotic use and childhood body mass index trajectory. Internat J Obesity 2016; 40: 615-21.
- Schwartz BS, Glass TA, Pollak J, Hirsch AG, Bailey-Davis L, Bandeen-Roche K. Depression, its co-morbidities and treatment, and childhood body mass index trajectories. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2016; 24: 2585-2592.
- Bailey-Davis L, Poulsen MN, Hirsch AG, Pollak J, Glass TA, Schwartz BS. Home food rules in relation to youth eating behaviors, body mass index, waist circumference, and percent body fat. J Adolescent Health 2017; 60: 270-6.
- Anderson Steeves E, Martins PA, Gittelsohn J. Changing the Food Environment for Obesity Prevention: Key Gaps and Future Directions. Current Obesity Reports, PMID#: 25574452 PMCID# PMC4283210.
- Budd N, Cuccia A, Jeffries JK, Prasad D, Frick KD, Powell L, Katz FA, Gittelsohn J. B’More healthy retail rewards - Design of a multilevel communications and pricing intervention to improve the food environment in Baltimore City. BMC Public Health 2015; 15:283.
- Coakley HL, Anderson Steeves E, Jones-Smith JC, Hopkins L, Braunstein N, Mui Y, Gittelsohn J (2014) Where Do Low-Income Children Get Food? Combining Ground-Truthing and Technology to Improve Accuracy in Establishing Children’s Food Purchasing Behaviors, Journal of Hunger & Environmental Nutrition, 9:3, 418-430. NIHMSID: 655402 PMID# to be assigned by 3/13/15. PMCID#: PMC4344129.
- Du W, Su C, Wang H, Wang Z, Wang Y, Zhang B. Is Density of Neighbourhood Restaurants Associated with BMI in Rural Chinese Adults? A Longitudinal Study from the China Health and Nutrition Survey. BMJ open 2014;4(4):e004528. PMID: 24755211, PMCID: PMC4010850.
- Gittelsohn J and Trude A, “Diabetes and Obesity Prevention: Changing the Food Environment in Low Income Settings,” (Manuscript submitted to Nutrition Reviews, May 2015).
- Gittelsohn J, Anderson Steeves E, Mui Y, Kharmats AY, Hopkins LC, Dennis D. B'more healthy communities for kids: Design of a multi-level intervention for obesity prevention for low-income african american children.BMC Public Health. 2014;14(1):942. PMID#25209072, PMCID#: PMC4168194.
- Gittelsohn, J., Mui, Y., Adam, A., Lin, S., Kharmats, A., Igusa, T., Lee, B.Y., Incorporating system science principles into the development of obesity prevention: principles, benefits and challenges. Current Obesity Reports 2015; DOI 10.1007/s13679-015-0147-x.
- Han E, Jones-Smith J, Surkan PJ, Kharmats AY, Vedovato GM, Trude ACB, Steeves EA and Gittelsohn J, “Low-income African American adults share weight status, food-related psychosocial factors and behaviors with their children,” (Manuscript submitted to Obesity Science and Practice, June 2015).
- Yamaguchi M, Steeves EA, Shipley C, Hopkins LC, Cheskin LJ, Gittelsohn J, “Inaccuracy of self-reported energy intake predicts obesity among poor, urban, African-American children,” (Manuscript submitted to Obesity, June 2015).
- Zwald ML, Hipp JA, Corseuil MW, Dodson EA. Correlates of walking for transportation and use of public transportation among adults in St Louis, Missouri, 2012. Prev Chronic Dis. 2014 Jul 3;11:E112. doi: 10.5888/pcd11.140125. PMID:24995654, PMCID: PMC4082435.
- Ewart Pierce E, Mejía Ruiz MJ, Gittelsohn J. "Whole-of-Community" Obesity Prevention: A Review of Challenges and Opportunities in Multilevel, Multicomponent Interventions. Curr Obes Rep. 2016 Jul 5. [Epub ahead of print].
- Mui, Y.; Lee, B.Y.; Adam, A.; Kharmats, A.Y.; Budd, N.; Nau, C.; Gittelsohn, J. Healthy versus Unhealthy Suppliers in Food Desert Neighborhoods: A Network Analysis of Corner Stores’ Food Supplier Networks. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2015, 12, 15058-15074.
- Bleich SN, Wolfson JA, Jarlenski MP (2014). Calorie changes in chain restaurant menu items: Implications for obesity and evaluations of menu labeling. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 48(1):70-5. PMID: 25306397. PMCID: PMC4274249.
- Bleich SN, Rutkow L (2013). Improving obesity prevention at the local level – emerging opportunities. New England Journal of Medicine. 368:1761-1763. PMID: 23656641.
- Bleich SN and Sturm R (2009). Developing policy solutions for a more active nation: Integrating economic and public health perspectives. Preventive Medicine. 49(4):306-8. PMID: 19616575.
- Bleich SN, Herring BJ (2012). “Medicaid coverage for weight loss counseling may make ‘cents’.” Journal of General Internal Medicine.
- Bleich SN (2008). "Public Perception of Overweight." BMJ. 337:a347. PMID: 18617487
- Bleich SN, Wolfson JA, Jarlenski MP. Calorie changes in large chain restaurants: Declines in new menu items but room for improvement. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. In press.
- Bleich SN, Vine S, Wolfson JA (2013). American adults eligible for the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program consume more sugary beverages than ineligible adults. Preventive Medicine. 57(6):894-9. PMID: 24128951; PMCID: PMC3842507.
- Bleich SN, Jarlenski MP, Bell CN, LaVeist TA (2013). Addressing health inequalities in the United States: Key data trends and policy action. Frontiers in Public Health Services and Systems Research. 2 (4).
- Cheskin L and Gittelsohn J. (2003) Obesity as a Future Healthcare Nightmare: Can health policy provide the cure? Harvard Health Policy Review, 4(2): 56-61.
- Fleischhacker S & Gittelsohn J. (2010) “Carrots or candy in corner stores: Legal and policy facilitators and barriers to stocking healthier options,” Indiana Health Law Review, Spring 2010, v.7:23-54.
- Jones-Smith JC, Dow WH, Chichlowska K.Association between casino opening or expansion and risk of childhood overweight and obesity. JAMA. 2014; 311.9: 929-936.
- Oddo, VM* and Jones-Smith, JC. Gains in income during early childhood are associated with decreases in body mass index z-scores among children in the United States. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2015; 101 (6); 1225-1231.
- Jones-Smith JC, Dieckmann M, Gottlieb L, Chow J, Fernald LCH. Socioeconomic status and trajectory of overweight from birth to mid-childhood: The Early Childhood Longitudinal Study-Birth Cohort. PloS One. 2014; 9 (6), e100181.
- Kharmats AY*, Jones-Smith JC, Cheah YS*, Budd N*, Flamm L, Cuccia A*, Mui Y*, Trude A* and Gittelsohn J. Relationship between the SNAP Cycle and dietary quality among low-income African Americans in Baltimore, Maryland. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2014; 99(5); 1006-1014.
- Jin, Y* and Jones-Smith JC. Associations between Family Income and Children’s Physical Fitness & Obesity in California, 2010-2012. Preventing Chronic Disease (In Press).
- Jones-Smith JC, Gordon-Larsen P, Siddiqi A, Popkin BM. Country-level correlates of time trends in overweight inequality by socioeconomic status using repeated cross-sectional surveys from 37 developing countries (1991-2007). American Journal of Epidemiology. 2011;173(6): 667-675.
- Jones-Smith JC, Gordon-Larsen P, Siddiqi A, Popkin BM. Emerging disparities in overweight by educational attainment in Chinese Adults (1989-2006). International Journal of Obesity. 2012; 36(6):866-75.
- Farrag NS, Cheskin LJ, Farag MK (2017) A systematic review of childhood obesity in the Middle East and North Africa
(MENA) region: Health impact and management. Adv Pediatr Res 4:6. doi:10.12715/apr.2017.4.6.
- Lee, B.Y., Adam, A.*, Zenkov, E., Hertenstein, D., Ferguson, M.C., Wang, P.I., Wong, M.S.*, Wedlock, P., Nyathi, S., Gittelsohn, J., Falah-Fini, S., Bartsch, S.M., Cheskin, L.J., Brown, S.T. (2017) Modeling the economic and health impact of increasing children’s physical activity in the United States. Health Affairs. 36(5): 902-908.
- Nau, C.L., Schwartz, B.S., Bandeen-Roche, K., Liu, A., Pollak, J., Hirsch, A., et al. Community socioeconomic deprivation and obesity trajectories in children using electronic records. Obesity, (2015 Jan;23(1):207-12. doi: 10.1002/oby.20903. Epub 2014 Oct 16.) PMID 252324223 PMCID#: PMC4299701.
- Fallah-Fini, S., Rahmandad, H., Huang, T., Bures, R., Glass, T., 2014, Modeling U.S. Adult Obesity Trends: A System Dynamics Model for Estimating Energy Imbalance Gap,American Journal of Public Health, Special issue on Using Systems Science in Obesity Research,104 (7): 1230-1239.
- Lee, B.Y., Bartsch, S.M., Wong, K.F., Yilmaz, S.L., Avery, T.R., Singh, A., Song, Y., Kim, D.S., Brown, S.T., Potter, M.A., Platt, R., Huang, S.S. (2012) Simulation shows hospitals that cooperate on infection control obtain better results than hospitals acting alone. Health Affairs, 31(10):2295-2303. PMID: 23048111.
- Lee, B.Y., Wong, K.F., Bartsch, S.M.,Yilmaz, L., Avery, T.S., Brown, S.T., Song, Y., Singh, A., Kim, D.S., Huang, S.S. (2013) The Regional Healthcare Ecosystem Analyst (RHEA): a simulation modeling tool to assist infectious disease control in a health system. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 20(e1):e139-146. PMID: 23571848.
- Lee, B.Y., Bacon, K.M., Bottazzi, M.E., Hotez, P.J. (2013) A computational simulation model: the global economic burden of Chagas' Disease. Lancet Infectious Diseases, 13(4):342-348. PMID: 23395248.
- Lee, B.Y., Brown, S.T., Korch, G., Cooley, P.C., Zimmerman, R.K., Wheaton, W.D., Zimmer, S. M., Grefenstette, J.J., Bailey, R.R., Assi, T.M., and Burke, D.S. (2010) A computer simulation of vaccine prioritization, allocation, and rationing during the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic. Vaccine, 28(31): 4875-4879. PMID: 20483192.
- Lee, B.Y., Bailey, R.R., Wiringa, A.E., Assi, T.M., and Beigi, R.H. (2009) Antiviral medications for pregnant women for pandemic and seasonal influenza: an economic computer model. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 114(5):971-980. PMID: 20168096.
- Lee, B.Y., Brown, S.T., Cooley, P.C., Zimmerman, R.K., Wheaton, W.D., Zimmer, S.M., Grefenstette, J.J., Assi, T.M., Furphy, T.J., Wagener, D.K., and Burke, D.S. (2009) A computer simulation of employee vaccination to mitigate an influenza epidemic. American Journal of Preventative Medicine, 38(3):247-257. PMID: 20042311.
- Lee, B.Y., Norman, B.A., Assi, T.M., Chen S.I., Bailey, R.R., Raigopal, J., Brown, S.T., Wiringa, A.E., and Burke, D.S. (2010) Single versus multi-dose vaccine vials: An economic computational model. Vaccine, 28(32):5292-5300. PMID: 20566395.
- Lee, B.Y., Bartsch, S.M., Mui, Y., Haidari, L.A., Spiker, M.L., Gittelsohn, J. (2017) A Systems Approach to Obesity. Nutrition Reviews: (suppl 1): 94-106.
- Alhamdan, B. A., Garcia-Alvarez, A., Alzahrnai, A. H., Karanxha, J., Stretchberry, D. R., Contrera, K. J., Utria, A. F., and Cheskin, L. J. (2016) Alternate-day versus daily energy restriction diets: which is more effective for weight loss? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Obesity Science & Practice, 2: 293–302. doi: 10.1002/osp4.52.
Top of page.