Lawrence J. Cheskin, MD, FACP, FTOS
Director of Clinical Research
Associate Professor, Department of Health, Behavior and Society and International Health, Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Lawrence J. Cheskin, MD is the Director of Clinical Research at the Global Obesity Prevention Center (GOPC) at Johns Hopkins. He is Associate Professor, Health, Behavior & Society, with appointments in Medicine (GI); International Health (Human Nutrition) and Public Health Studies. He also directs the Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center, a multidisciplinary clinical research and treatment program that he founded in 1990.
In his research, Dr. Cheskin studies the effectiveness of various lifestyle and dietary changes in weight loss and weight maintenance. He has experience in design and implementation of controlled clinical trials and laboratory studies of different diet techniques, as well as individual and community-based interventions, including among underserved residents of Baltimore. He has written 144 peer-reviewed publications, and 6 books.
- Cheskin LJ, Abel ML, Bailey MM, Burnett M, Frutchey R, Goheer A, Ram A, Pollack KM. Developing role models for health in the fire service: a pilot case study. JRSM Open. 2014 Oct 8;5(10):2054270414536549. doi: 10.1177/2054270414536549. eCollection 2014 Oct.PMID: 25383194 [PubMed]
- Cai L, Wu Y, Cheskin LJ, Wilson RF, Wang Y. Effect of childhood obesity prevention programmes on blood lipids: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Obes Rev. 2014 Dec;15(12):933-44. doi: 10.1111/obr.12227. Epub 2014 Sep 29.PMID: 25263653 [PubMed]
- Abel ML, Lee K, Loglisci R, Righter A, Hipper TJ, Cheskin LJ. Consumer Understanding of Calorie Labeling: A Healthy Monday E-Mail and Text Message Intervention. Health Promot Pract. 2014 Jul 31. pii: 1524839914543105. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25082982 [PubMed]
- Cheskin LJ, Kahan S. ACP Journal Club. Review: bariatric surgery increases weight loss and diabetes remission more than nonsurgical treatment. Ann Intern Med. 2014 Jan 21;160(2):JC7. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-160-2-201401210-02007. No abstract available. PMID: 24445717 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Showell NN, Fawole O, Segal J, Wilson RF, Cheskin LJ, Bleich SN, Wu Y, Lau B, Wang Y. A systematic review of home-based childhood obesity prevention studies. Pediatrics. 2013 Jul;132(1):e193-200. doi: 10.1542/peds.2013-0786. Epub 2013 Jun 10. Review. PMID: 23753095 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Please see here for full publications list.